Department of pathology has incorporated full fledged infrastructural facilities , equipments and staff as per MCI regulation for annual intake of hundred students for MBBS course and for post graduate course in Pathology viz; MD,DCP,DNB.
Teaching MBBS 3rd - 5th semester. MD Pathology (3 year course of KUHS) for 3 students per year. Teaching is streamlined as per MCI regulations and University Regulations. Interdisciplinary Lectures 3rd - 9th Semester.
They are available in the common pool . There are four lecture rooms with seating capacity of 120 and one lecture hall for 250 students. These are provided with audiovisual aids like microphone , LCD projector , and over head projector.
There are two practical laboratories with seating arrangements for 50 students each ; one practical hall for Histopathology and the other for Clinical pathology and Haematology. Each student is provided with a microscope with in built illumination.
There are two demonstration room with demonstration microscope attached to Digital camera Eye-piece; TV monitor ; slide projector , OHP and LCD. There are 3 preparation rooms attached to each practical hall and museum.
There are 619 mounted specimens displayed along with catalogues. Another 252 wet specimens are stored in transparent polythene bags and are displayed in special glass troughs.
Autopsy room in the vicinity of mortuary is shared with department of forensic medicine . It is located adjacent to the hospital. Two autopsy tables are available.
There is a research laboratory with necessary equipments (Annexure - list of equipments.
Department undertakes: B.Sc. Nursing (2nd year), CMAI DMLT (2 year course), CMAI PG Diploma in Histopathology, M.Sc. MLT Projects and B.Sc. MLT short term posting
» Regular Clinico-Pathologic Meetings conducted with Dermatology, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Surgical departments.
» Students Clinico-Pathological case discussions held on a monthly basis.
» Histopathology laboratory: Timing 8 AM to 5 PM. Annually received 8700-9400 surgically resected specimens and biopsy material from Amala hospital. Also handles referral materials from hospitals in central and Northern Kerala.
Intraoperative diagnosis: imprints, frozen sections, surgical cytology Immunohistochemistry: An array of markers are available to facilitate accurate Diagnosis and management of cancer.
» Cytology: Time 8 AM to 4 PM Non-Gynaecologic cytology including FNAC and Gynaecology cytology. Handles 3500-4000 cases / year
» Haematology: Timing: 8 AM to 4 PM - Offers routine and specialized diagnostic services in Haematology including bone marrow aspiration, BM biopsy, Histochemistry.
» Blood Bank and component separation unit. Timing: 24 hours. Licensed to prepare and issue blood components in April 1999. The first of its kind in Thrissur, it has issued round the clock safe and efficacious blood products at economical rate to hospitals in central and Northern Kerala. The products available are packed RBCs, fresh frozen plasma, Cryoprecipitation platelet concentrate
|Date of Birth|
|Dr. Joy Augustine||Professor and HOD||MD Pathology 1986||30 years||22-08-1954||Profile|
|Dr. Vijayalakshmi Nair||Professor||MD Pathology, 1983||19 years||07-08-1952||Profile|
|Dr. Saramma K U||Professor||MD Pathology, 1983||30 years||06-02-1952||Profile|
|Dr. Savithri M C||Professor||DNB 1998||12 years||17-04-1965||Profile|
|Dr. Deepti Ramakrishnan||Associate Professor||MD Pathology, 2003||9 years||24-10-1972||Profile|
|Dr. Lekha K Nair||Associate Professor||MD Pathology, 2006||10 years||15-05-1976||Profile|
|Dr. Usha Mary Abraham||Assistant Professor||MD Pathology, 2012||4 years||14-08-1973||Profile|
|Dr. Divya S||Assistant Professor||DNB Pathology, 2012||4 years||19-05-1981||Profile|
|Dr. Raghunath Narayanan Unni||Assistant Professor||MD Pathology, 2014||3 years||08-06-1986||Profile|
|Dr. Sreeja Raju||Assistant Professor||MD Pathology, 2014||2 years||26-04-1986||Profile|
|Dr. Radhakrishnan N G||Tutor||MBBS 1977||-||11-02-1948||Profile|
MBBS from Government Medical College, Jabalpur (MP), in 1974
MD from Trivandrum Medical College in 1983
Tutor / Registrar for 4 years in Medical College, Alappuzha and for 2 years in Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram
Assistant Professor for 3 years in Medical College, Kottayam and for 4 years in Medical College, Alappuzha
Associate Professor for 3 years in Medical College, Alappuzha
Professor for 3 years in Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram
Joined Amala Institute of Medical Sciences in 2008 as Professor
Working as Blood Bank Officer since June 2009
Completed MBBS from Govt.Medical college,Thrissur in 1988. Recieved DNB Pathology from PSG IMSR Coimbatore in 1998. Now working in Amala Institute of Medical Sciences as Associate Professor from 2010 onwards. She have 2 publications in Pub Med Index Journal. They are:
1) Periosteal Chondrosarcoma of Bone:Report of a rare entity. Australaslan Medical Journal.2012;5(11:589-92)PMID:23289049(PubMed)PMCID: 3518776.
2) Myelodysplasia in Children:Report of 2 cases. Indian Journal of Haematology and Blood transfusion.Dec 2013;DOI 10.1007/S 12288-013-034X. Life Member of IMA and Indian Association of Pathologists & Microbiologists(IAPM).
MBBS from Government Medical College, Thrissur in 1996.
MD Pathology from Government Medical College, Kottayam in 2003
2003 to 2009 : Assistant Professor in Amala Institute of Medical Sciences
2009 to 2012 : Associate Professor in Sree Narayana Institute of Medical Sciences, Ernakulam
2013 to Present : Associate Professor in Amala Institute of Medical Sciences
Experienced in diagnostic work including Biopsy, Cytology, Aspiration Cytology (FNAC), Immunohistochemistry, Hematology, Bone Marrow Aspiration studies.
IAPM Chapter meet - 13-02-2010 at Amala Institute of Medical Sciences
CME on Dermatopathology - 01-08-2011 at Government Medical College, Thrissur
CME on Breast Pathology - 10-11-2012 at Jubilee Mission Medical College, Thrissur
IAPM Chapter Meeting - 2014 at Government Medical College, Kottayam
Completed MBBS from Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, Bellur, Karnataka in 2005 and MD Pathology from Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College and Hospital, AMU, Aligarh, UP in 2011. Working as Assistant Professor in the Department of Pathology in Amala Institite of Medical Sciences, Thrissur. Published a paper on Mycotic Giant Cell Epitheliomatous Inverted Papilloma of the Gingiva J Glob Infect Dis in 2010 and Myelodysplasia in Children : Report 2 cases. Indian J Hematol Blood Transfus in 2014. Thesis done on " A Clinico-pathological study of Dysfunctional uterine bleeding with special reference to morphometric analysis of blood vessels.
MBBS from Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, Mandya, Karnataka in 1998. MD Pathology from PSG Institute of Medical Sciences, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu in 2012. Working as Assistant Professor since 9/7/2012 in the department Pathology. Published a scientific paper on "Bone Marrow Pathology in Pancytopenia" in med ej, Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University, Chennai in 2012, March. Thesis done on 'comparative histologic & immunohistochemical classification of Ampullary Carcinoma on endoscopic biopsy & resection specimen under the guidance of Dr.V.Nirmala. Participated as faculty in The Derm-Path classroom conducted at Amala Institute of Medical Sciences in the years 2012 & 2013. Attended the Basic Course Workshop in Medical Education Technologies conducted by Govt.Medical College, Regional Centre in Medical Education Technologies, Kozhikode at Amala Medical College, Thrissur from 23rd to 25th January, 2013. Attended JAPM Kerala Chapter Meet on 8/2/2014 at Govt.Medical College, Kottayam.
• Oral presentation
Gastrointestinal stromal tumours,Immunohistochemical analysis and correlation with prognosis, 65 IAPM Kerala chapter.
• Posters –
1.Cribriform morular variant of papillary carcinoma thyroid ,6th National CME at AIMS,Kochi.
2.Sinonasal teratocarcinosarcoma-Report of a rare case,63rd Kerala chapter.
3. Anaplastic carcinoma of pancreas –A case report,65th Kerala chapter.
4.Neighbour's pride (Microbiologist's), Owner's dilemma (Pathologist's), 66th IAPM Kerala chapter.
• Prizes:1st prize for poster at 66th IAPM Kerala chapter.
MBBS from K S Hegde Medical Academy, Karnataka in 2007. MD Pathology from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi in 2012. From 2009 to 2012 : Junior Resident, Department of Pathology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, 2012 to 2013 : Senior Resident in Department of Pathology, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences. 2013 to Present : Assistant Professor in Department of Pathology, Amala Institute of Medical Sciences. She won the Prof. V. Ramalingaswami Gold Medal for the Best Junior Resident in Pathology for 2011 in AIIMS, from the President of India.
1. Easwaramangalath Venugopal Krishnakumar*, Ajaykumar, Augustine Joy, Jaboy Bibin .Peribronchial inflammatory myofibroblastic tumour: a case report . International Journal of Advances in Medicine 27th July 2015. pp
2. Dr.Agnesamma Jacob. “Prevalence of Eosinophilia in a Tertiary Care Hospital”. Amala Research Bulletin, Vol.35.(Accepted for publication ).
3. M.C. Savithri, K.P. Kavitha, Elizabeth Priya Mathew, Dr.Dominic Puthur :- 21 cases of Giant Cell Rich Lesions of Bone –Cytologic Analysis of Imprint smears.Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Research ,JMSCR Vol.03/Issue 07/Page 6413-6416 July 2015.
4. M.C.Savithri, K.P.Kavitha. Spurious macrocytosis- Automated cell counters are not fool proof. Sch.J.App.Med.Sci.2015;3(IF):376-8
5. M C Savithri, Dr. Usha Mary Abraham. MASS LESIONS OF OVARY – TUMOUR MARKERS CAN BE MISLEADING.sian Journal of Medical Sciences. Vol 6, No. 3 (2015); pp 26- 29.
6. Dr.Vanesa John.T, Dr.M.C.Savithri,Dr.Deepti Ramakrishnan - A common tumour in an Un common site: Utility of special stains in the Era of Immunohistochemistry-Sch.J.App.Med.Sci.2015;3(IF):408-410.
7. Firosh Khan, Abdulkhader Shehna , Lekha Mukundan - Mononeuritis multiplex in acquired amegakaryocytic thrombocytopenia Journal of neurosciences in rural practice.Oct –Dec 2015,Vol -6,588 -590.
8. Lekha K. Nair, Anitha Das.P, Saphina .P ,Intraoperative frozen section – realistic expectations in the current scenario- Experience with 135 cases in a tertiary care centre-, Annals Medicus, Accepted in March 2015.
9. Lekha.K.Nair, Anitha Das.P, Arun S.Ambadi, Ramachandran Nair , Self regressing epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of tibia in an infant – A rare case report and review of literature. Journal of orthopedic case reports, 2015 Jan-March:5(1):37 -40.
10.Dr.Divya.Surendran , Dr.Deepti Ramakrishnan . Dedifferentiated chondrosarcoma of femoral Shaft: a case report; Scholars Journal of Medical Case reports; 2015;3(2);99-101.
11.Dr.Vanesa John.T, Dr.M.C.Savithri, Dr.Deepti Ramakrishnan . - A common tumour in an Un common site: Utility of special stains in the Era of Immunohistochemistry. Sch.J.App.Med.Sci.2015;3(IF):408-410.
12.Mary Mathew, Bhavana Nayal, Reghunath Narayanan Unni, C.B. Balachandran : Papuloerythroderma of Ofuji in a young adult.J Interdiscipl Histopathol 2014; 2(1) :38-40